- Do you know what it means to learn a language intentionally and holistically?
- And how this can help you improve your English listening skills?
Well, in this interview I talk to Angel Prétot from Frenchfluency.net about the concepts he uses to teach the native English speakers in his French Fluency Accelerator program.
Now, you might wonder how they could be relevant to you as someone learning English.
Angel is a holistic French learning coach. So that means he uses a holistic approach to teach language where he takes into account the mindset, strategies, habits, and especially the personal goals of his students.
The good news is that you can apply these approaches to learning any language and often other areas of life too – hence the word holistic!
And the results speak for themselves – literally. As you’ll hear, Angel is a fluent English speaker even though he doesn’t live in an English speaking country.
And in fact, he’s a polyglot as he speaks 6 languages in total, including his native French.
Like me, Angel is a bit of a personal development fan and not afraid to admit it! So we’ll touch on some of those concepts as we discuss what it means to improve your language and listening skills intentionally.
You’ll hear us discuss:
- how to optimise your language learning
- language coaching vs language teaching
- why languages can only be taught, not learned
- what intentionality is in language learning and how it helps you get language knowledge out of your brain and into situations where you need to use the language to speak, write etc
- 2 key criteria for choosing your language learning resources
- why it’s critical to take your daily language bath
- how and why to make language learning part of your daily life
- why you’re worrying too much about not understanding and what to do instead
- how meditation can help your language study
- why it’s ok to keep watching documentaries (if you like them), even if your goal is to understand fast-talking native speakers
- how to apply the 80/20 rule to language learning
- why you need to stop cramming your brain with new words and what to do instead
- the dangers of word lists
Watch the video:
More from Today’s Guest
If you enjoyed this chat with Angel then please take a look at his website and social media channels:
- Angel’s YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUdQ0mm-jrP00TjeVgXiLw/featured
- Free fluency worksheet: https://www.frenchfluency.net/worksheet
- Angel’s website: https://www.frenchfluency.net/
- Angel’s Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/frenchfluency.net
- Angel’s Instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/frenchfluency/
- Angel’s Pinterest account: https://www.pinterest.com/frenchfluency/
- Angel’s Twitter account: https://twitter.com/frenchfluency