Hello Leo Listeners. This week I’m joined by Pete from Aussie English. He invited me over to his podcast and YouTube channel a couple of weeks ago for a chat. And now I’m returning the favour. Pete is Australian, unsurprisingly, so it’s a great chance to listen to and compare our accents.
The idea behind this interview was to discuss Australian accents, Australian TV and anything else that took our fancy.
I ended up finding out about Pete’s PhD research into Australian rat populations. And got a lot of juicy language learning tips out of him. If you want to know about how he got an authentic French accent, stay tuned. A lot of these tips also apply to English.
First 10 minutes or so
- The fact that Pete is actually Dr Pete as he holds a PhD
- The fascinating evolution of Australian rat species and how they’re related to each other
- My close call with a rat in Seville
- Why rats make better pets than hamsters and mice. And why you should avoid ferrets.
The next 10 minutes
- Where Pete’s living and where he’s originally from
- How and why Canberra became Australia’s capital
- Chatting about Australian cities and why my relatives live in the worst one
- Australian geography vs European geography and the impact (or not) on language learning
- Linguistic diversity in the UK and the status of Gaelic in Scotland
20 minutes onwards
- Pete’s experience learning languages
- How Pete got back into learning French
- Pete’s top language learning tips from his experiences in reactiving his French and learning Portuguese
39 minutes in
- Classic Australian TV shows: Home and Away, Neighbours
- Pete’s friends TV show about snake catching
- Some Australian TV shows you might not have heard of
- Australian movies
46 minutes in
- Australian accents and slang
Links mentioned in our chat:
My interview on Pete’s YouTube channel about life in France: : https://youtu.be/FtMDWzK9VCM
My interview on Pete’s YouTube channel about getting rid of subtitles: https://youtu.be/aIeZ3oOujTY
Pete’s big list of 20+ movies & TV shows in Aussie English that will help you learn the Australian accent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feFUc4EEDe0
Pete’s friend’s show, Snake Catcher is on this site: www.fraudulentfilms.com
Pete’s website: https://theaussieenglishpodcast.com/
Aussie English on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/theaussieenglishpodcast/