Hello Leo Listeners. This week I’m joined by Pete from Aussie English. He invited me over to his podcast and YouTube channel a couple of weeks ago for a chat. And now I’m returning the favour. Pete is Australian, unsurprisingly, so it’s a great chance to listen to and compare our accents.
The idea behind this interview was to discuss Australian accents, Australian TV and anything else that took our fancy.
I ended up finding out about Pete’s PhD research into Australian rat populations. And got a lot of juicy language learning tips out of him. If you want to know about how he got an authentic French accent, stay tuned. A lot of these tips also apply to English.
First 10 minutes or so
- The fact that Pete is actually Dr Pete as he holds a PhD
- The fascinating evolution of Australian rat species and how they’re related to each other
- My close call with a rat in Seville
- Why rats make better pets than hamsters and mice. And why you should avoid ferrets.
The next 10 minutes
- Where Pete’s living and where he’s originally from
- How and why Canberra became Australia’s capital
- Chatting about Australian cities and why my relatives live in the worst one
- Australian geography vs European geography and the impact (or not) on language learning
- Linguistic diversity in the UK and the status of Gaelic in Scotland
20 minutes onwards
- Pete’s experience learning languages
- How Pete got back into learning French
- Pete’s top language learning tips from his experiences in reactiving his French and learning Portuguese
39 minutes in
- Classic Australian TV shows: Home and Away, Neighbours
- Pete’s friends TV show about snake catching
- Some Australian TV shows you might not have heard of
- Australian movies
46 minutes in
- Australian accents and slang
Become a Leo Listener: Join the subtitle freedom movement
Enter your name and email address to get my weekly emails for subtitle freedom musings, motivation and practical and inspirational content to understand conversational English. You'll also be the first to know about live lessons and other events. And you'll receive occasional emails about my products and services. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Thanks for downloading the video and worksheet. Check your inbox shortly for a confirmation email. Please check all your folders including junk/spam. Thanks.
Links mentioned in our chat:
My interview on Pete’s YouTube channel about life in France: : https://youtu.be/FtMDWzK9VCM
My interview on Pete’s YouTube channel about getting rid of subtitles: https://youtu.be/aIeZ3oOujTY
Pete’s big list of 20+ movies & TV shows in Aussie English that will help you learn the Australian accent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feFUc4EEDe0
Pete’s friend’s show, Snake Catcher is on this site: www.fraudulentfilms.com
Pete’s website: https://theaussieenglishpodcast.com/
Aussie English on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/theaussieenglishpodcast/